22 /150 is a bad mark if this is what’s on your report card or maths test. It’s just 14% and that would be a big fail. But 22 years in the same company that turns 150 years old is like getting a B + (in my opinion anyway)
Today my company is 150 years old and it was very close to October that I started working here too.
So here is a bit of my history, 22 years of my life and experience in the big blue bank…..
- 1990 – Started working in the bank in August and I was married this year in October…was given a bridal shower, started learning new things, new names and made new friends
- 1991 – I worked as budget controller looking after advertising ‘budgets’. Processing invoices and printing numerous reports for internal clients on a monthly basis
- 1992 – We bought our first home with the help of the home loans department….looking ahead so you’re not left behind
- 1993 – In June I was given a baby shower for my first born and then I took the rest of the year off on maternity leave. Bank launched a new campaign “With us you can go so much further”
- 1994 – Back from maternity leave and had another baby shower in December for my second child
- 1995 – Came back from maternity leave in June and was teased about lack of contraceptives and told no more showers or parties etc.
- 1996 –We upgraded our mode of transport and bought a new car – a Jetta 2 Cli, thanks to Stannic. It was in this year that the bank launched their cricket sponsorship. Yeah for the boys
- 1997 – My bear and my dad start their own company – Tagmarc Auto Repairs
- 1998 – We had an unforgettable holiday in Ponta do Ouro, Mozambique right on the beach front with some of the crazies in the advertising department. Very odd that we even considered going with some complete strangers and totally different people to us. My two boys loved this holiday
- 1999 – Getting ready for the 2000 bug that’s all they talked about, I’m not into technical IT stuff zzzz
- 2000 – Moo started primary school!! Nedcor bids for a take-over or merge, that was a scary and very busy time in the advertising department. We also launched a new pay-off line “Simpler.Better.Faster.”
- 2001 – Tigs started primary school!! Many changes and moves around the building and work load increasing fast and furious.
- 2002 – Ruthless left the bank with her red pen and left SA, we never thought that was going to happen
- 2003 – Boys are growing we needed a bigger house….home loans made that possible again and we bought our second home, now my boys had their own bedroom
- 2004 – Working with accounts, month end and year end is starting to work on nerves and I hate azimuth
- 2005 – Left finance, budgets, invoices, statements, reports and a horrible boss forever. At last!!! Started working for two really awesome gentlemen & directors in marketing as their PA
- 2006 – Our new logo and pay off line “Inspired.Motivated.Involved” was launched. My dad passed away in December. Moo is awarded the DUX award for academic achievement in grade 7
- 2007 – Moo started high school!! For my big 40 birthday the girls at work arranged for a stripper to jump out of a box in the office!
- 2008 – Tigs started high school!! We move around a lot at work but this was the biggest move ever, a whole new building. Just imagine the chaos of moving 40 odd unenthusiastic people in my team
- 2009 – It was a very hectic and crazy year at work I had a new maniac boss that left before I had the opportunity of pushing him out the 8th floor window! Bank launched the “Moving forward” campaign
- 2010 – World cup soccer in SA! We have a million flags at home, Jozi is alive with what we call gees (spirit). The bank opens its first real branch in Angola, I have to mention that because I was born there
- 2011 – National Senior Certificate with seven distinctions. Well done Moo, we are so very proud of you
- 2012 – The bank turns 150 today. Happy Birthday Standard Bank. We end off the year with a sh-boom sh-boom. And we arrive at work one day to find the dreadful scanning machines are gone! Sh-boom sh-boom Ya-da-da Da-da-da ……
I have made so many friends here, sadly some have passed away, others have moved to different countries or companies. But over all these years of remembering there a few that started work with me and have been here as long as I have. They are the ones that have known me this long…they have seen me cry, know a secret or two about me, have hugged me on my birthday, have listened to my stories and shared theirs with me over so many great breakfasts and lunches.
Thank you my friends you’ve made it special