Today Natalie du Toit visited our offices and she gave a talk on disability awareness. What an inspirational young vibrant and happy person. If I didn’t love her before I certainly fell in love with her today. Positive attitude turned her disabilities into abilities. Listening to her all I could think of was ‘hard work and determination’. Never give up, no matter what just never ever give up. Team work.
She had us laughing a few times but the funniest thing for me was her explaining how she needed one person to look after her prosthetic leg while she swam, so when she finished the race she would have her leg on the other side ready for her. She didn’t want to worry about how the leg got there, she just needed it to be at the end of the race.
Natalie was 17 when she lost her leg and she continued swimming and winning gold medals! I took these lessons from her today, whatever challenges and difficulties I face in my life –
- Never give up
- Work hard, work harder
- Don’t change, stay me on the inside
- Stay positive, stay in my race
- Don’t let any disability be my disability
- Don’t forget my dreams, go grab them
- Team work, make sure I am surrounded by supportive people
- Learn to ask for help when I need it
- Be grateful for every small thing I have in my life
- Love life
- And find someone to carry my leg